A while back I started to notice a new brand (at least new to me) popping up on all of my skincare-guru friend’s stories. Those I trust well to know their products and to always source out the best of the best. When this gemstone brand, called Jane Scrivner after its founder, announced that they where now shipping to the UAE my lovely friends in the community tagged me on the brand’s page to make me aware and soon I had the huge pleasure of talking to Jane herself! The magic of Instagram and our beauty community is always noticeable. Always present.
When my package arrived, I was stunned and thrilled to see the generosity as I suddenly found myself owning several Jane Scrivner products, all of them suitable for my skin! The first product I opened was this little powerhouse, the Skin Elixir.
Described as a “daily facial moisturiser” one might miss the fact that this is a facial oil of absolute premium quality. Award winner and raved about I can do nothing but agree: this product works. So, how come? Why do I have such a love for facial oils? Why do I constantly advocate the need for them? Let me make it simple for you:
- Anti-ageing. Not a word I particularly like because its negative connotation but the fact is still that once you reach your Thirties, skin starts to loose some of its most valuable properties. Collagen and elastin production slows down. Your skin starts to behave in a different way and soon you’ll detect fine lines. A high-quality oil is rich in fatty acids and antioxidants to prevent premature ageing.
- Won’t give you acne. No matter if your skin is dry or oily; acne is caused by a bacterial formation in your pores. Many oils used for products like these (Jane Scrivner Skin Elixir is filled with Jojoba-seed oil, Cananga Odorata Flower oil and Eucalyptus leaf oil only to name a few) are actually anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial, meaning they will stop and prevent the process that causes acne. Tea Tree oil has been used forever for acne treatment!
- The Trojan Horse. Being Lipophilic, (fat-loving) oils have the ability to pass through the outer layer of our skin, penetrate deeper and while doing so make it easier for other active ingredients like Vitamin C, Retinol and Glycolic Acid to reach beyond the lipid layer of your skin.
- TEWL. Oil can help prevent Transepidermal Waterloss as it creates a natural barrier to look in moisture not only on the surface, but deep down the layers of your skin. It is the ideal antidote to pesky dry skin as it moistures and hydrates using its own natural properties.
- Smooth and Rich. Oil cuts through dirt; meaning not only should you like a facial oil, but a cleansing oil usually do the trick when you need to remove heavy makeup! As the formula in itself is smooth, it is perfect to blend a drop of facial oil into your foundation in order to prevent it from sticking to any dry patches or scars.
- Choose quality. If you have experienced troubles with a facial oil, chances are it might have been a low-grade oil to begin with (do not buy any facial oils at the super market) or it may simply have been the wrong oil for your skin! As with all skincare products, you have to make patch tests to see what works. Don’t dismiss all facial oils if one product didn’t work out for you! My go-to oils are always Jojoba-oil, Castor oil, Rosehip oil and Tea Tree oil.
- Tolerance. Jojoba oil increases skin’s tolerance by promoting collagen and elastin production while also having anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties. Layering the Skin Elixir on areas where needed and topping it off with the Jane Scrivner “OO” Over oil cream has made visible improvements on my skin and my mother could also seethe benefits from the system!
Basically, this is why I always make sure to include oils in my daily routines and with the Skin Elixir I gain a product that is totally free from parabens, sulphates, lanolin, mineral oil, artificial colours and fragrances, SLS and other petrochemicals. The packaging is dreamy with its closed bottle: no daylight will risk to destroy the oils inside, and I really enjoy the smart pump-lid which only dispense the smallest amount. A little elixir goes a long way. Scented with Sandalwood and Orange peel oil it smells as premium as it shows. This little bottle was my first Jane Scrivner love. The penetration and absorption is immediate – no greasy oily cast on your skin whatsoever. It was such a thrill to try this on my mom (who was scared it would be “oily”) just to see her stunned expression upon application! Skin Elixir is a definite re-purchase for me. I think you should try it for yourself and enter the magical, kind and including world of Jane Scrivner’s. ♥